Building Innovation Hub Logo

Step 9. Verify Performance

Validate your building's energy performance improvement.

What is this?

At the conclusion of any building improvement project, whether it be small operational adjustments or large capital investments, it’s imperative to ensure that the installed measures are performing as intended. After a contractor has successfully completed a project, it is important for the building’s ownership and/or on-site staff to ensure the systems are providing the energy savings intended. Measurement and verification (M&V) is the process of collecting data and verifying that energy conservation efforts are resulting in the desired savings by comparing measured energy use before and after the implementation of a project.

Why do it?

You want quality control at the conclusion of a project, and often for a period afterwards, to ensure that the measures installed are operating appropriately. M&V provides project quality assurance and verifies that your project is meeting its operational and energy savings goals.

How to do it

The International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP) defines the industry standards for M&V practices and outlines the framework for determining the energy savings that have resulted from a specific measure.

Who does this?

  • Qualified energy consultants (see qualifications and certifications below)
  • Energy Services Companies (ESCOs), who provide full project services along with guaranteed energy savings.

Where to find help

  • DC’s Department of Small and Local Business Development maintains a database of Certified Business Enterprise contractors by trade. Relevant codes to search include:
    • 9101600: Energy Conservation Services (Including Audits)
    • 9184100: Energy Conservation Consulting
    • 9611400: Commissioning of Facilities Service, Functional and Pre-functional
    • 9253400: Energy Management Engineering
    • 9062800: Energy Conservation; New Energy Sources (Solar, etc.) – Architectural Services
  • The Apartment and Office Building Association of Metropolitan Washington (AOBA) has a Directory and Buyers’ Guide to search for companies that can deliver various services, including a category for “energy services.”
  • The U.S. Department of Energy maintains a list of DOE Qualified Energy Service Companies
  • National Association of Energy Service Companies (NAESCO) publicizes a list of companies who elect to participate in their NAESCO Accreditation Program.

Qualifications to look for

Some of the certifications and licenses that apply to this specialty are:

  • Professional Engineer (PE)
  • Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
  • Professional Energy Manager (PEM)
  • Certified Measurement & Verification Professional (CMVP)
  • Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP)
  • Certified Commissioning Professional (CCP)
  • Certified Energy Auditor (CEA)

Once you’ve verified that your project is achieving its intended goals, it’s time to benchmark your building.

linkedin facebook twitter

Questions or Feedback?