Green Building Certification
The Fannie Mae Multifamily Green Financing Business provides mortgage financing to apartment buildings and cooperatives (with five or more units) to finance energy and water efficiency property improvements. Fannie Mae provides preferential pricing for properties that have a green building certification.
Applicable building size
5 or more residential units.
Preferential pricing for obtaining a green building certification that is recognized by Fannie Mae.
- Incentive/funding details. All Fannie Mae green loans are securitized as Green Mortgage Backed Securities (Green MBS). To learn more about these programs, multifamily property owners should coordinate with a Fannie Mae Delegated Underwriting and Servicing (DUS) lender.
- Contract structure. Mortgage.
- Amount (max, min, average). Varies.
- Simple payback. Varies.
- Tax and balance sheet. Mortgage.
- Pairing with other sources. Can be paired with other sources, including local utility incentives.
- When in the project process an application should be started/completed. Fannie Mae’s DUS Lender Partner will require delivery of Green Building Certification and copy of certificate during mortgage loan origination process.
- Level of effort required. Varies.
- Ownership types or organizations are best suited for the program. Multifamily owners who are acquiring or refinancing a property.
- Program fit for customer. A multifamily owner who is seeking a preferential pricing on a mortgage loan and already has or is interested in obtaining a green building certification.
Visit Fannie Mae’s website for more information about the Multifamily Green Financing Business.